M.S. in User Experience
This program is now also available through ASU Online.
M.S. in User Experience
The Master of Science (M.S.) in User Experience program is offered by the College of Integrative Sciences and Arts and the Polytechnic School within the Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering on ASU’s Polytechnic campus.
User experience (UX) focuses on the design, development, and evaluation of products and services that are useful, usable and desirable. The UX program addresses UX research, design, content development, communication, tone of voice and evaluation of all components and products with which end users interact. This includes hardware and software user interfaces, informational products, help systems, user support, identifying user needs, tasks, procedures, capabilities, and limitations when using technology and interacting with information.
Why User Experience?
ASU’s M.S. in User Experience educates tomorrow’s leaders in the user experience profession. UX is a rapidly growing field and UX professionals need skills in research, analysis, design, and communication to effectively lead teams and collaborate with clients and technical personnel. Students with this degree can typically expect to find jobs in the areas of:
- User Experience
- User Research
- Design Research
- Human Factors Research
- Human-Computer Interaction
- Interaction Design
- Interface Design
- Digital Visualization Design
- Usability Testing
Applicants must meet the following admission requirements:
- A bachelor’s degree in a related field
- Applicants to this program generally have completed an undergraduate course in statistics.
- Minimum of 3.00 cumulative GPA (scale is 4.00=A)
- An online Graduate Admissions Application
- Official transcript from each college or university attended
- As of Fall 2021, the GRE is no longer required for this program.
- Two (2) Letters of Recommendation
- International applicants must also meet the English proficiency requirements, as defined by Graduate Admissions. Please be sure to review the TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE score requirements, as your application will not be processed without valid proof of English proficiency.
Applicants are required to upload the following:
- Statement of Purpose*
- Sample of Work (portfolio, writing sample, research report, prototype, etc. showcasing your work)
- Research Areas of Interest
- Professional resume/CV
*The Statement of Purpose should address your interest in the degree, as well as any related professional experience and your short-term and long-term goals for your career. This statement is strongly regarded during the admittance process.
Applications accepted for the fall and spring semesters.
The M.S. in User Experience (UX) requires a minimum of 30 credit hours with grades of “B” (3.00) or higher. Students must complete a program of study, or iPOS, with the listed coursework within the first semester of admission. The list of required and elective options can be found in Courses.
The culminating experience for this degree is a capstone course (HSE 560, GIT 560 or TWC 560), which is included in the 30 credit hours.