M.S. in Information Technology
This program is available through ASU Online and at the Polytechnic campus.
Students who select the M.S. in information technology obtain advanced technology skills that prepare them for careers in industry, education or government.
Why Information Technology?
Through the curriculum, graduates design and implement information technology solutions, develop and implement enterprise databases, perform technical analysis of systems and networks, design and create technical graphic and geographic technology solutions, and serve as information technology and communications security experts. The program focuses on developing the ability to conceptualize, organize and realize information technology projects that meet the needs of users within an organizational or societal context. Program course work encompasses core technologies and a specialization area with a culminating project experience.
Graduates of the information technology program are well-qualified for careers in the management of IT departments and functions. This degree couples technical skills with the business skills needed to manage technical functions. Some graduates may pursue careers as technical support staff based on the focus area and secondary skills they achieve.
Graduates will have the ability to manage technical professionals in these focus areas. The focus area in information technology security provides the graduate with the concepts underlying information assurance, securing computer applications, and secure communication of information. These skills are combined with knowledge in areas of computer systems and networking design, configuration and administration.
The focus area in information systems management focuses on database technologies including; big data, natural language processing, and deep learning.
We offer this program in an online format with multiple enrollment sessions throughout the year. Interested students can request more information here.
Applicants must meet the following admission requirements:
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in information technology, information systems, or a closely-related field, from a regionally accredited college or university.
- Minimum of 3.00 cumulative GPA (scale is 4.00=A) in the last 60 hours of a student’s first bachelor’s degree program
- Minimum of 3.00 cumulative GPA (scale is 4.00=A) in graduate work, if applicable
- If the applicant does not meet the minimum GPA requirements, the application may still be considered. In certain cases, demonstrated aptitude through professional experience or additional post baccalaureate education will be considered.
- Proficiency in an object oriented language is required e.g. python or Java and familiarity with linux desirable
- An online Graduate Admission application
- Submit a professional resume and personal statement as part of the online admissions application.
- Official transcript from each college or university attended
- No GRE requirement
- International applicants must also meet the English proficiency requirements, as defined by Graduate Admissions. Please be sure to review the TOEFL, IELTS, or PTE score requirements, as your application will not be processed without valid proof of English proficiency.
The M.S. in Information Technology requires a minimum of 30 credit hours. These credit hours must include the following:
- 9 credit hours of core courses
- 12 credit hours of focus area courses
- 6-9 credit hours of elective courses
- 0-3 credit hours culminating experience
- IFT 593 Applied Project (3 credits) OR Portfolio (0 credits)
Students currently enrolled in the BS Information Technology degree program can select the Accelerated 4+1 option.