Western Undergraduate Exchange

Reduced Tuition with the Western Undergraduate Exchange

The Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) program makes Arizona State University more affordable than most out-of-state universities.

It pays to be our neighbor

The savings are significant. The WUE rate (approximately 47% less than normal out-of-state tuition) makes going to ASU comparable with the cost of attending most state schools in your home state. If you live in any of the states listed below, your tuition cost at the Polytechnic School is only slightly more expensive than the tuition paid by in-state Arizona residents and much less than the tuition paid by out-of-state students from non-WUE states.

WUE requirements

Students must be a permanent resident of:

Alaska, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, Wyoming or residents of the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands.

WUE-eligible degree programs

The Polytechnic School is radically interdisciplinary in structure so that students learn alongside fellow students with diverse interests from multiple degrees. The following academic programs in the Polytechnic School qualify for WUE tuition discounts:

  • Information Technology
  • Engineering
  • Software Engineering
  • Product Development and Manufacturing Technology
  • Software Engineering
  • Industrial and Organizational Psychology
  • Environmental Resource and Management
  • Graphic Information Technology
  • Technological Entrepreneurship


First-time freshmen must have a high school GPA of 3.0 or higher in competency courses (this is known as the ABOR GPA) or have an SAT of 1110/ACT of 24 (not including the writing portion of these exams) or higher. First-time freshmen are expected to live in an ASU residence hall during their freshman year. Please see asu.edu/housing for more information. WUE freshmen may be eligible for an ASU non-resident merit-based WUE scholarship. ASU will notify qualified admitted freshmen in writing of this award.

Transfer Students

Transfer students must have an overall GPA of 2.5 or higher on a 4.0 scale in all transferable coursework. Community college transfer students must have an associate’s degree or 60 transferable credit hours (B.A.S. degree programs are only open to students who have an A.A.S. or equivalent degree).

Learn more about the Western Undergraduate Exchange