8-Hr HAZWOPER On-scene Incident Commander
Note: The Online Webinar will be a “live” presentation. In order to attend, you must have a computer with a microphone and a camera. Most laptop computers come equipped with both.
This training is intended to help certify an individual who will assume control of a hazardous substance emergency beyond the first responder awareness level. It is designed to help you understand the incident command system. OSHA requires under 1910.120(q)(6)(v) at least 24 hours of training equal to the first responder operations level and in addition have competency in specified areas. In developing this 8 hour class, we assume that the person taking this class has already been trained to a First Responder Operational (FRO) level or higher.This class is an open enrollment class and we do not address your site specific procedures, protocols for implementation of the ICS nor your site specific emergency response plans. It is up to your employer to certify that you meet all criteria for an IC based upon HAZWOPER requirements.Course modules include the incident commander and the incident command system (ICS), health and safety, general response priorities, collection of data, risk assessment, staging, ICS facilities, use and hazards of personnel protective equipment, decontamination, safe exposure limits, and state, local, and federal emergency response plans.
The areas of competency that OSHA requires include the following:
- Know how to implement the employer’s incident command system.
- Know how to implement the employer’s emergency response plan.
- Know and understand the hazards and risks associated with employees working in chemical protective clothing.
- Know how to implement the local emergency response plan.
- Know of the state emergency response plan and of the Federal Regional Response Team.
- Know and understand the importance of decontamination procedures.