Larry Olson holds a Ph.D. in chemistry from the University of Pennsylvania and a B.S. in chemistry from Baylor University. He was a post-doctoral fellow at the University of Illinois and has been a member of the Arizona State University faculty since 1989. He is currently an associate professor of Environmental Technology Management in the Polytechnic School, one of the Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering at the ASU Polytechnic campus. Olson has been a Visiting Professor at the Vrije Universiteit Brussel (VUB) in Brussels, Belgium; the University of Houston, Rice University and Baylor University.
Ph.D., University of Pennsylvania, 1974, Chemistry
B.S., Baylor University, 1970, Chemistry
Environmental chemistry, air pollution, international environmental policy
Olson’s research is focused on the chemical challenges of developing alternative fuels such as biodiesel from a variety of feedstocks and the environmental impact of these fuels. He is also involved in the use of nano scale materials and bioremediation agents for contaminated soils and water.
Recent publications include:
- “Arsenate Removal by Iron (Hydr)oxide Modified Granulated Activated Carbon: Modeling Arsenate Breakthrough with the Pore Surface Diffusion Model.” Kiril D. Hristovski, Paul K. Westerhoff, John C. Crittendon, and Larry W. Olson, Separation Science and Technology (2008), 43, 3154 ? 3167.
- “Arsenate Removal by Nanostructured ZrO2 Spheres.” Kiril D. Hristovski, Paul K. Westerhoff, John C. Crittendon, and Larry W. Olson, Environmental Science and Technology (2008) 42, 3786-90.
- “The Municipal Solid Waste System and Solid Waste Characterization in the Municipality of Veles, Macedonia.” Hristovski, K., Olson, L., Hild, N., Peterson, D. and Burge, S., Waste Management, 27, 1680-1689 (2007).
- “Management of Chemicals for Sustainable Development.” L.W. Olson in B. Nath and L. Hens, Ed., The World Summit on Sustainable Development: The Johannesburg Conference, Springer, pp. 135-150 (2005).
- “Health Impact and Control of Particulate Matter.” L. Olson and K. Boison in P. Nicolopoulou-Stamati et al (eds). Environmental Health Impacts of Transport and Mobility, 113-123, Springer (2005).
- “Perchlorate: An Emerging Contaminant.” (2009) Larry W. Olson, Journal of Environmental Management Arizona, Vol 7, No. 1, p. 18.
- “Carbon Capture and Storage” (2009) Larry W. Olson, Journal of Environmental Management Arizona, Vol 7, No. 4, p. 14.
President’s Medal (ASU) for Social Embeddedness; Outstanding Professor (National Association of Industrial Technology); Teacher of the Year (ASU Polytechnic)